Sunday, September 23, 2007

September Weekends in Vancouver

More and more I start enjoying the downtown of Vancouver. Intensive hiking and road trip months of the summer are coming to the end with the appearance of warm colors of maple trees. At this point I realize that I've done enough exploration of the West Coast to satisfy my adventure seeking soul for now and let the other side of myself to develop at a professional and personal levels.

It is the second weekend since July of me staying in the city enjoying the calm life of Vancouver. Last weekend Alex S. came down from Seattle, which of course called for all you can eat sushi and rich in calories breakfasts with coffee. I love them as much as I love the days beginning and ending with those. In most of the cases it means that there are friends out of town that I haven’t seen for a while. It also means conversations with them will be much enjoyed as we’ve missed each other’s presence.

This Sunday while I was enjoying Internet browsing in downtown's Blenz Coffee place with Dasha at Robson and Bute, there was a man sitting right beside us in huge headphones listening to music from his laptop and non-distractively tapping with his fingers on the table from time to time. When he was about to leave I asked him whether he was a musician. The man appeared to be a composer, also multimedia artist and a poet.

Roland Bastien started his career in Avan-Garde scene in 1979. He collaborated with numerous artists and wrote over 70 chamber music scores and 100 piano solo scores. As a composer, was the finalist at Elisabeth Schneider Foundation in Germany in 2000. He performed as a pianist. He won the overall prize at The Fourth International Poetry Competition in 2006. Some of his poems that he wrote after 90's are greatly influenced by his interesting life experience during Buddhist Monastery journey.

Here are some of Roland's Haiku and poems ( poems section).
Perhaps, an empty taught

For now,
Revenons a nos moutons (come back to what we were doing),
As French would say,
And I am back to codes and antennas

No comments: