Thursday, September 06, 2007

In the memory of my Grandfather

I still remember the night before I found out the news of my grandfather’s passing away. It was the last night before my final exam. I spent it studying, thinking about wireless concepts taught by Stanford’s professor. Inconspicuous classical music was playing in the background. In the breaks I was thinking about the upcoming summer, adventures and guests that I would show around Vancouver and BC. One of the guests was supposed to be my grandfather who had his university summer vacation from July 20 to September 20. He was waiting for visa that would allow him to visit his daughter and granddaughter in Toronto and grandson in Vancouver.


It was his dream. We talked a lot about it over the phone. We tried not to build big plans, but I knew I would show him everything I found out about the West Coast during my last year living here – more than I ever showed to everyone else who visited me here so far! We would have talked and talked, and felt each other’s presence. Conversed about anything, on any topic! He was a cool grandfather. Being a professor for many years, he knew how to talk with young guys, joked all the time and created a wonderful aura during the conversation. He was an optimistic guy, and a noble man. There are so many great memories associated with him that now it is impossible to think of “Deda” and not to either smile or feel sorrow.


I will remember him positively. There will be more smiles reflecting from memories of him than grief and tears. He emphasized bright mindset and hard work, generosity to people and warm friendships. It was him who has made a great impact on shaping my character both, during my childhood and beyond, for which I am truly grateful.


The night before the news inconspicuous classical music was playing in the background. It was Rene Gruss’ Bellatrix that I still remember. It almost felt as I wanted to change something there in the speed of his notes and accents. Something that my mind wanted to make more melodic in this already beautiful composition full of emotions. It seemed as I did not agree with something, yet listened to it and could not resist. I only realize it now, months after.


Bellatrix stayed in my mind for the rest of the following day while I was searching for last minute tickets to Ottawa, Toronto and Belarus. It still comes up in my memory as a soundtrack of the peaceful yet tiring night of fighting with my body to keep myself awake while learning as much material as possible before the exam – a peaceful summer night without higher worries. I remember sitting outside on a balcony during my break drinking coffee few hours before the sunset, looking at the dark blue sky, and trying to remember that night positively, enjoying what I was doing – just like my grandfather taught me! I am grateful that I am your grandson!


My grandfather, also Victor, died at the age of 75. He will forever stay in my heart as a man, who managed to show me great examples of life and optimism, and inspire for hard work. I keep his photograph in my album that he sent me a year ago. On the back, he wrote: “To my dear grandson for a good memory (of him). Be commendable, at least in most things”.

No comments: