Friday, September 07, 2007

Aikido in Irkutsk

My friend Alex K just came back form Irkutsk, one the Far East cities of Russia. Apparently, there is Aikido Dojo there as well. Most likely Aikikai. Here is the picture.I’ve been training Aikido Yoshinkan for several years, first, under Nick Mills Sensei (Sendokan Dojo), and then under Robert Mustard Sensei (Aikido Burnaby). This weekend I am going to Seattle for demonstration of at 10th Annual Matsuri (Japanese Festival) 2007. We’ll be performing a 30-40 minute demo there. Check out the website: http://www.enma.org/.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there!

You're about the first hit on google when you type "Aikido" and "Irkutsk" in there. It so happens that I'll be swinging by Irkutsk this summer, and I was wondering if you might by any chance be able to procure contact information for this dojo? That would be amazing. Thanks!

Victor G. Lesau said...

Hi,

I have never been there myself and I think my friend just snapped it for me when he was passing by in a car. My suggestion would be to check out the local business index book, or call local martial arts schools. A further search on "aikido irkutsk" on Google returns several references to Irkutsk Aikido Club (but page does not work):
http://panorama.irk.ru/aikido/
There is another blog post about this dojo. It looks like the author visited it, so you can ask him for the contact information if cannot find anywhere else: http://ouraikidoworld.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Good luck!
Ous!